12th Annual TechnoBuddha
Who We Are
The TechnoBuddha conference is an annual conference hosted by the Center for Buddhist Education for people between the ages of 21-39.
The conference aims to provide an opportunity for young professionals to find a community of like-minded individuals and introduce Jodo Shinshu Buddhism to those who are interested in learning.
Theme of TechnoBuddha 2019:
No Self, No Problem!
Over the course of the weekend, we’ll be exploring how we cab find self in a context of no self in a keynote by Rev. Dr. Kenji Akahoshi, as well as enjoying great food, and participating a range of workshops to choose from.
Over 7 workshops are available on Saturday March 23rd ranging from a finding one's self in a talk by Kirk Akahoshi, to following one's taste buds in a wine tasting hosted by Alan Kim.
- Rev. Dr. Kenji Akahoshi - How do we find self in a context of no self: The keynote talk and following workshop will demonstrate how Shin principles can inspire our lives by clarifying ambiguous terminology
- Kirk Akahoshi - Sacred Anger: Anger is one of the most misunderstood emotions and has gotten a lot of bad press. In this dynamic and participatory workshop, you will learn the complexities, utility, and wisdom of anger. We will be playing with the positive expressions of anger and feel it’s empowering force to awaken our spirit.
- Alan Kim - Wine Tasting: Introduction to wine principle and practice: from grape to glass.
- Rev. Dr. Kenji Akahoshi and Kirk Akahoshi: A special joint workshop
- Miki Nakamura - Massage: This will be a hands on workshop, on learning simple and effective methods of easing pain and tightness.
- Cj Aki - LGBTQ Buddhist experiences and discussion: an open-ended and safe time for dialogue between the community and our allies.”
- Tai Chi - Don Gee Yang Style Practice Tai Chi as a form of meditation, and and gain tools to increase your ki energy.
Can't wait til March?
The TechnoBuddha community is active year-round, attending Obon's throughout the summer, a pop-up event on Saturday, September 22nd in Los Angeles, and online at the official TechnoBuddha Facebook page!
TechnoBuddha was the theme of the first year's conference in 2007 for people who are "grown but not necessarily grown-up," and are interested in Buddhism. The theme was TechnoBuddha because we wanted to focus in on how our generation's experience with technology may affect our experience with Jodo Shinshu Buddhism.
How to Sign Up
Spaces are limited, secure your spot before before March 11th to save $20.
Limited affordable lodging available at the JSC for conference attendees.
Early Registration $50
Registration after March 11, $70
Save the date, and engage with the community, join us at www.facebook.com/technobuddha.conference